Nov 12, 2012

The Love of a Good Man

There is a woman at work who re-applies her make-up in the evening at work.  I see her on occasion in the ladies room touching up her under eye concealer and blusher.  Today when I witnessed this, I thought to myself: how lovely that she makes herself pretty before going home to her family. I internalized this as a sign of her respect and affection for her husband that she would, literally, want to have her "best" face on when she first sees him after a long day.  Years ago, in one of those dumb girly mags (I'm looking at you, Glamour), I read this "Dear Abby"-type letter from a guy asking how he could get his girlfriend to stay "dressed up" when she got home in her sexy, professional outfit instead of immediately ditching her duds for sweats and a curry-stained T-shirt.  There's a couple of worrying points about that letter, not the least of which is not being able to ask for what you want from someone you love, but I thought the concept of "being pretty" after a hard day's work worth considering.  Of course, what constitutes "pretty" for the great love of my life has almost nothing to do with what I consider to make me pretty (read: he prefers no make up, while I think I look like an extra from World War Z without it), but the point is to do things for the one you love to show you love them.  And sometimes, that means thinking about what they need from a partner.  As Wesley says, " I have made my body strong because I thought you might be pleased by a strong body. "

No comments:

Post a Comment