Oct 28, 2012

Cats and Dogs Living Together!

Sandy is in town for a visit.  We've put out extra blankets and pillows for her, plus we hit up the special grocers down the street to get her favorite beer and candies.  I'm going to work from home for the next couple of days so we can all spend some quality time together, too. *sigh*

I've been texting all my friends and family that we have plenty of beer, wine, and Halloween candy so we are set for a few days at least. To hear it from the reporters, there's, like, a 99% chance we'll lose power for at least a day this week.  We've put out our hand-crank flashlight and radio, but the temperature is dropping...quickly.  I roasted chicken tonight at 475* and left the oven open to cool.  It's been less than 2hrs and already all that delicious-smelling heat has dissipated.  For those new to this blog, I don't do cold.  Nope, not me.  Not my thing.  I lack the ability to maintain my body temperature on my own power and require supplemental heat to keep from turning purple: My Beloved, a hot water bottle, a four-legged friend, electric blanket.  Fughetabout the rain, the loss of power...the dropping temperature is what's going to make this storm a problem for my first-world self.

Schools have been cancelled for Monday and Tuesday, and I can still, at 9:30pm, hear planes taking off from PHL trying to get everyone out of Dodge before it's too late.  The forecasters promise I should be able to make it into the office tomorrow, but also promise that I won't be able to make it home.  We're no where near a flood area or body of water (thank jeebus), but do have gorgeous, leaf-laden trees all around us.  If I can keep My Beloved from worrying himself sick about either the roof leaking (more) or a tree branch crashing into the house, it will be a miracle.  [The mere mention of water damage makes him vagal. There is a house a few blocks over that had a huge tree crash through the roof into the master bedroom in a recent, windy rainstorm.  Just driving past the tell-tale blue tarp'd site, My Beloved sucks his teeth and curls his toes the same way I do when I see blood or hear a gruesome tale of surgery. ]


So, wherever you are tonight, I hope you are safe, dry, well-fed, and with someone who will share a little of their body heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment